Bradenton Area Economic Development Corp. Strategy
to Guide Local Economy to Next Level
The multi-year “Build Bradenton Area Plan” aims to expand economic opportunities for local residents and existing businesses.
The Bradenton Area Economic Development Corp. (EDC) unveiled the multi-year “Build Bradenton Area Plan” in August 2015 to expand economic opportunities for local residents and existing businesses. The strategic plan includes bold strategies for Manatee County’s future as the business address for the South Tampa Bay region.
The Bradenton Area EDC, working with its network of partner agencies and community leaders, is seeking to guide the community to the next level as a location for companies to relocate or expand.
The “Build Bradenton Area Plan” was developed by Boyette Strategic Advisors, a consultancy with extensive experience in economic development research and planning. The consultants combed through demographic and employment data, exhaustively toured the region, and received input from more than 200 local stakeholders. Participants included business and civic leaders, young professionals, government officials, educators and more.
The experts analyzed how Manatee County stacks up as a location for companies in high-growth business sectors. The resulting recommendations identify which industry sectors the EDC should target to recruit corporate relocations. It also highlights opportunities to make the community more attractive for companies seeking to expand or relocate their operations.
The privately-funded strategy is a combination of bold, aspirational goals and practical, effective objectives. Examples include:
- Develop a Village of Innovation in downtown Bradenton to provide business assistance to entrepreneurs, including shared office space in an incubator facility to encourage collaboration.
- Create the best sports performance sector in the country, including developing a cluster of related businesses in and around the IMG Academy campus in West Bradenton.
- Develop a culinary market or district located near the Village of the Arts.
- Explore developing an entertainment district near the riverfront in Palmetto to complement the region’s meeting and convention business.
- Become a significant player in developing a life sciences hub for Florida’s West Coast
- Develop a distribution and logistics business park at Port Manatee to provide a focus for marketing available land adjacent to the port.
The new plan will be implemented in partnership with a host of agencies, organizations and individuals.