EDC Strategy to Guide Local Economy to Next Level
Imaginations is where it begins
The Bradenton Area Economic Development Corporation (EDC) unveiled the multi-year “Build Bradenton Area Plan” in August 2015 to expand economic opportunities for local residents and existing businesses. The strategic plan includes bold strategies for Manatee County’s future as the business address for the South Tampa Bay region.
The Bradenton Area EDC, working with its network of partner agencies and community leaders, is seeking to guide the community to the next level as a location for companies to relocate or expand.
The “Build Bradenton Area Plan” was developed by Boyette Strategic Advisors, a consultancy with extensive experience in economic development research and planning.
The consultants combed through demographic and employment data, exhaustively toured the region, and received input from more than 200 local stakeholders. Participants included business and civic leaders, young professionals, government officials, educators and more.
The experts analyzed how Manatee County stacks up as a location for companies in high-growth business sectors. The resulting recommendations identify which industry sectors the EDC should target to recruit corporate relocations. It also highlights opportunities to make the community more attractive for companies seeking to expand or relocate their operations.
- Create an entrepreneurial ecosystem
- Develop the Village of Innovation
- Enhance and expand culinary scene/food destination in the Bradenton area
- Establish a “world-class” dog park
- Connect cultural advantages and opportunities for Manatee County through the expansion of Realize Bradenton
- Address workforce housing
- Update and implement Downtown by Design for the City of Bradenton
- Understand assets and challenges of target sector opportunities
- Engage in targeted lead generation
- Become a significant player in developing a life sciences hub for Florida’s West Coast
- Develop the best sports performance sector in the country
- Capitalize on the assets of the region’s institutions of higher learning
- Develop a transportation plan
- Expand existing convention center in Palmetto with hotel development
- Explore resort hotel/conference center developments
- Develop a distribution and logistics business park at Port Manatee to provide a focus for marketing available land adjacent to the port
- Ensure workforce/talent is available to support target sector opportunities
- Ensure workforce/talent and training are available to support needs of existing businesses
- Support a collaborative educational environment
- Explore ways to develop and maintain Information Technology talent
- Enhance the perception of the Bradenton area through a new branding campaign and messaging
- Maximize impact of social media among key target audiences
- Showcase unique Bradenton area assets in marketing efforts
- Inventory and market the Bradenton area’s sustainable assets
- Incorporate sustainability into the Bradenton area’s economic development efforts
- Explore a new funding model
- Assess staffing needs
- Review and expand current services
- Encourage county alliances and explore regionalism